Weekly News, Training & Resources
IN THE NEWS
Turns Out It’s Complicated
Solving online harassment is challenging, even for the well-intentioned.
- Pew Research Center recently asked Americans for their views on what constitutes online harassment. Read the results of the study. Or Vox breaks it down for you.
- In Germany, a new law, the network enforcement law (NetzDG), has gone into full effect to fight online harassment. It has haters on all sides.
- You may be surprised to hear sports stars get trolled too (or maybe not…Serena Williams?). Now, tennis player Madison Keys and America’s Cup winner Jimmy Spithill told CNN how they respond.
TROLLBUSTERS IN THE NEWS
LISTEN AS TROLLBUSTERS FOUNDER Dr. Michelle Ferrier joins host Joseph Pace to discuss online violence and harassment and its effect on women and journalists. [January 22, 2018]
TAKE OUR SURVEY! TrollBusters in conjunction with the International Women’s Media Foundation is still soliciting your experiences as a journalist or writer. Take the survey.
ON THE WEB
TrollBusters Has a New Website!
TrollBusters is getting a fresh face, with the goal of focusing on what we do best — helping you to stay safe online and off. Take a look!
ON YOUR TO-DO LIST
Lock It Down
If you haven’t checked on the security of your personal information in awhile, take a moment to to safeguard against online abuse using TrollBusters’ digital hygiene course.
Then, check out these other great resources on the web.
- Visit the Global Investigative Journalism Network for this guide, packed with tips and resources on digital security.
- We also love the Journalist Security Guide from the Committee to Protect Journalists.
- Also, spend some time with the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s Surveillance Self-Defense project.
IN YOUR NEWSROOM
Does Your Newsroom Have a Plan?
We now offer training for newsrooms on how to prevent and respond to online harassment for journalists. TrollBusters offers in-person, hands-on workshops and webinars for journalists and management. Contact us to learn more.