Staying Safe Online & Off
With a focus on the U.S. political environment and the insurrection in the U.S. Capitol on January 6, Dr. Michelle Ferrier lays out the rise of hate online. She examines the ways in which journalists have come under increasing attack from bad actors around the globe — and the movement from online into physical and dangerous confrontations.
Dr. Michelle Ferrier, founder of TrollBusters and a professor in journalism educates students on the digital environment and coordinated threats against journalists. The 50-page handbook includes examples from the U.S. and globally and strategies for developing a professional identity online.
What You’ll Learn:
- Examine the ways in which technologies are used by journalists and journalists are targeted through technologies.
- Describe online and physical threats against journalists and current threats on press freedoms around the world.
- Understand the impact on individual journalists and the chilling effect on news.
- Conduct a risk assessment of personal and professional vulnerabilities.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Online Threats
- Historical Context
- Current Context: Global and U.S. Presidential Election(s)
- Research on Attacks on Media Workers
- Effects on Individuals & Chilling Effect on News
- Plan Resilience: Identifying threats, risks and actions to take now.