IN THE HEADLINES
- As her husband takes pot shots at the media via Twitter, First Lady Melania Trump hosted social media executives at the White House to discuss curbing online harassment this week. Unsurprisingly, Jimmy Kimmel had a field day with the news. And all we did was a simple search >>>>
- They may be famous, but celebs face trolling too. Celebrities talk about how they handle online shaming in the virtual spaces where they hoped to connect with fans.
- A new study shows how online harassment deters women around the world from running for office.
- The NetzDG law in Germany is a relatively new experiment in forcing social media companies to police abusive content online. Lawmakers are now pushing for a way to contest the takedown of legitimate content that may get blocked.
- And a Pennsylvania lawmaker has a new solution to cyberbullying: fine the parents of the offender up to $750 per incident, The Washington Post reports.
TrollBusters Represented at UN Commission on the Status of Women
TrollBusters founder Michelle Ferrier was an invited panelist for two events hosted by the International Association of Women in Radio and Television at the 62nd Commission on the Status of Women: “Beyond a Pretty Face: Tackling Gender Bias in Media Industries,” and “MeTooOnline: Workshopping Solutions to Counter Cyber Violence Against Women.” She spoke about the chilling effect online harassment has on journalists and the offline and professional consequences of online misogyny and abuse of women journalists. READ MORE.
We ran out in Spain… and New York! And someone even took our sample:-( Our popular mobile cards are now available as a card deck. Each card describe types of online threats then provides guidance on what to do if you’re being harassed. Card packs are $5. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to buy a pack for yourself or for someone who needs help…or a hint.
ON YOUR DIGITAL TO-DO LIST
Use These Tools to Stay Safe Online
Safeguard against online abuse using TrollBusters’ digital hygiene course. Then, check out these other great resources on the web: